CMU softball swept by Northern Illinois

Morgan Bittner and Nicole Gremillion’s pitching helped Northern Illinois sweep Central Michigan in both games of a doubleheader Saturday in DeKalb, Ill.

Bittner (7-7), a junior, threw a one-run complete game, with allowing seven hits and giving up six walks. She pitched out of multiple jams as the Chippewas stranded nine runners on base.

Sophomore Kara Dornbos (5-4) threw her second complete game in as many days, allowing two runs but getting the loss.

The Huskies scored in the third and fourth by mixing a double and single together to score a run in each inning. The Chippewas answered in the fifth with four hits, but only senior Amanda Patrick’s single drove in a run.

CMU (14-12, 1-3 Mid-American Conference) left the bases loaded that inning and in the first. In the sixth, the Chippewas got senior Amanda Klosterman to third after she doubled and a sacrifice bunt, but two groundouts ended the inning.

Game 2 was much more lopsided as CMU fell 8-0 in five innings. Freshman Gremillion (2-3) shut down Chippewa hitters to five hits, no runs and no walks.

The Huskies used two three-run home runs in the first three innings to a 6-0 lead and didn’t look back after that. Senior Kari Seddon (4-5) received the loss after throwing 2 2/3 innings allowing the two homers.

Sophomore Summer Knoop got her second multi-hit game of the weekend with two singles in the second game.

The Chippewas will play their first home game at 2 p.m. Wednesday as a part of a doubleheader against Detroit at Margo Jonker Stadium.