Central Michigan softball with major task against No. 2 Michigan

Central Michigan softball will try and knock off No. 2 Michigan in Ann Arbor at 6 p.m. today.

In the past the Chippewas have played Michigan tough, amassing an overall 30-43 record against the in-state rival.

“We’ve had great games against them,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. “Hope to continue that, and have another great game (Wednesday).”

One of those games came in 2005 when the Chippewas beat then-No.1 Michigan 5-4 in Mount Pleasant. Later that year the Wolverines won the NCAA championship.

“We’ve knocked them off before and we hope to do it again,” Jonker said.

CMU (20-12, 5-3 Mid-American Conference) currently has a six-game winning streak heading into Wednesday’s matchup.

“I think it does help having momentum going in their, but we have to work hard to keep that momentum not just staying flat,” said senior infielder Amanda Patrick. "Need to keep swinging the bats and getting hits.”

Jonker is quick to point out that those six wins won’t help get a win in Ann Arbor.

“Realistically, every pitcher is very different and the pitchers we face this week are going to be very different than last week," she said. "We have to execute on the day and not live in the past.”

Both coaches combine for 2,375 head coaching wins with their current programs. In her 32 seasons at CMU, Jonker has won 1,025 games at CMU, while Carol Hutchins has won 1,350 games in her 27th year in Ann Arbor.

“(I’m) friends with the coaching staff (and) respect the coaching staff,” Jonker said. “There’s a mutual respect there. And a lot of our players know their players, and their players know ours.”

Michigan (35-3, 3-1 Big Ten) played Western Michigan Tuesday night and pitched sophomore Stephanie Speierman (16-0).

That most-likely means senior Jordan Taylor (18-3) will be in the circle tonight against CMU. Last year, Taylor was Big Ten Pitcher of the Year with two five-inning perfect games and a no-hitter. She also had a 18-strikeout game on her way to a 26-4 record.

This year, Taylor has a 1.17 earned run average and has thrown seven shutouts.

“We expect to have power pitching,” Jonker said. “And good movement on the pitch.”

The No. 2 team in the nation can also swing the bat. Two players have averages above .400 and another five hitters are above .300. Senior Dorian Shaw and sophomore Ashley Lane have both hit double-digit home runs.

“We just try to play everybody - not to their uniform, but just like every other game,” Patrick said. “(We) try not to let the hype get to us. We try play great every single game no matter what.”

Jonker said, “We’re always excited to be able to play good teams. Obviously Michigan is a good team with a good program.”