WITH VIDEO: Four Loko sales drop since new FDA regulations nix energy drink elements

Four Loko is back, but local sales are not better than ever.

The popular alcoholic energy drink was banned on Dec. 4 after the Michigan Liquor Control Commission and the Food and Drug Administration started putting restrictions on the content of liquor energy drinks.

Liquor store owners say the once-popular drink, now back on shelves with a caffeine-free formula, is not selling as well as it used to.

"It's probably doing half of what it used to do," said Norm Shamoun, owner of K & S Liquor, 4555 E. Blue Grass Road.

Dave Devine, owner of The Store, 218 S. Mission St., said his sales have fared similarly.

He said The Store now sells a little less than half the amount of Four Loko it sold before the ban.

"It was gaining steam at the end of it because of publicity," Devine said. "It's still 12 percent alcohol, it still tastes the same. Everything's the same, they just took the caffeine out of it."

Shamoun said he does not know the exact reason sales of Four Loko have dropped, nor does he know if they will pick up again.

"The way it's looking, it's just another malt liquor (product)," Shamoun said. "When people drink it, they fall asleep now, as opposed to staying awake."

The only difference between the old Four Loko drink and the new is the lack of caffeine and taurine, which blended alcoholic beverage with elements of energy drinks, Shamoun said.

Sterling Heights junior Michael Manoogian said though the novelty of Four Loko has worn off, he will probably try the reformulated drink anyway.

Manoogian said he drank Four Loko about once every other week before the ban.

"I hope (it tastes differently,) because it wasn't that good before," he said. "They throw a bunch of nasty stuff in there, anyway. I'm going in with no expectations."

Okemos junior Danny Goulet has not bought a Four Loko since it was reformulated.

"I've never really liked it that much anyway, so I would only drink it once in a while," he said. "I haven't bought one since they took out the caffeine, so I don't even know if they taste better or worse."

When re-releasing Four Loko, the distributors also released two new flavors, bringing the total number of flavors up to nine.

Devine said similar products, such as Joose and Tilt, have hardly been selling since they were re-manufactured without the caffeine.

"Four Loko dominates the market still," he said.