LAMBRIGHT: Fighting ADHD? Rethink your diet

I have ADHD but have performed strongly in college.

So a few weeks ago I wrote a column on dealing with ADHD and college life. Now a new study, which has been widely reported, has brought an important new component of life with ADHD to my attention: food.

Norwegian researchers found as many as 60 percent of children diagnosed with ADHD could be suffering from an acute hypersensitivity to certain foods.

Among the food cited by the Norwegian study and others are: food dyes (red 40, yellow 5, etc.), caffeine and other heavily processed foods — especially sugars.

When I read the reports it dawned on me that me that I take in very little of these types of foods and that that could have played a major role in my success. In fact, aside from my morning coffee, I take in almost none of those types of foods.

So, as much as I’d like to say my methods for coping were the key factor in overcoming some of my challenges, it would be wrong for me not to point out dietary considerations.

But just like taking notes, studying in a quiet place or unplugging your computer to avoid its distraction, this method for coping with ADHD comes with great side effects.

Eating less processed foods has been linked to a number of health benefits including reduced risk of diabetes, heart attack, weight loss, looking younger longer and increased energy.

Furthermore, in the Norwegian study, subjects who changed their diets saw dramatic improvement in just five weeks. Many even reported a complete alleviation of all ADHD symptoms.

The FDA has yet to confirm the research done in the Norwegian study and cautions against an overreaction to its findings.

However, for someone struggling with ADHD, there is no good reason not to take to it seriously.

Make the change for two months and see how your life improves. All you have to lose is a few pounds of fat and a few percentage points from your risk of serious health issues.