Throwers travel to Oklahoma for John Jacobs Invitational

The Central Michigan men’s track and field season team has experienced several highs and lows throughout the  2010-11 season, but one group of athletes have maintained constant success.

Since the indoor season began in December, the throwers have been a bright spot for the team and have continued that success so far in the outdoor season.

This weekend they will be given another chance to shine when the Chippewas head to Norman, Okla., to compete in the John Jacobs Invitational hosted by the University of Oklahoma.

“This weekend is an opportunity for them to showcase their hard work and dedication and what they have been working on,” said Willie Randolph , director of track and field. “But it’s also an opportunity for them to represent our program on a national scene.”

The throwers will be lead by sophomore Alex Rose, who currently ranks fifth in the country in the discus with a season best throw of 192 feet, seven inches.

“I’m very pleased with the way Alex has progressed,” Randolph said. “Coach John Ridgeway has been doing a great job with him and his teammates continue to push him.”

Those teammates who will be joining Rose in Oklahoma will be senior John Calvert and juniors Ryan McCullough and Kevin Mays.

“Oklahoma is going to be a really big throwing competition, so it’s going to be a really good meet for our guys,” Randolph said. “It will give some of our top athletes like Alex and Ryan a chance to compete against some really good competition and see how they hold their own against people who are ranked just as high as they are.”

With the meet being in Oklahoma, the Chippewas expect to see schools from the Big 12 Conference in competition. The conference is a tradition-rich track and field power and currently has eight teams ranked in the top 25, including the host Oklahoma, which is No. 17.

The meet is set to begin at 10 a.m. with the field events, while the running events are scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m at the John Jacobs Track and Field Complex.

Three more

Randolph announced the addition of 10 athletes as part of his 2010-11 recruiting class on Tuesday, including three throwers.

Keith Boswell (Hill-McCloy High School, Montrose), Cole Walderzaak (Standish-Sterling High School) and Kyla Walworth (Holt High School) will join CMU next season.

Boswell set the school record in shot put (52 feet, seven inches) and discus (167 feet, 11 inches), while Walderzaak holds his school’s record in the discus and high jump.

At Holt, Walworth placed third in the MHSAA Class A state finals in 2009 and fourth in 2010.