Men's track set to host the Lyle Bennett Open

For more than two months, the Central Michigan men’s track and field team has been traveling throughout the country in preparation for the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championships that will take place in the middle of next month.

On Saturday, that preparation continues in their own backyard as the team hosts the Lyle Bennett Open — its only home outdoor meet of the season.

The meet will feature teams from all over the state of Michigan including Michigan State, Northwood, Lake Superior State, Alma, Ferris State and Detroit.

The meet will give the Chippewas an opportunity to compete as a full team, something they will need to do efficiently to have any success at next months MAC championships.

“Every meet right now is extremely crucial,” director of track and field Willie Randolph said. “We need to have everyone in place and competing at a high level in order to to great things this year.”

The men's team looks to continue its trend of good performances in team competition. CMU won two meets this year, including last weeks competition in Kentucky, which they beat defending Big East Conference Champion Louisville and perennial Sun Belt Conference Champion Western Kentucky

“We have gotten a lot of confidence from winning those meets,” Randolph said. “But right now we just need to go in and take  care of business, were going to try and win the meet, but the main thing is making it happen when it counts the most.”

The Chippewas will have all of their top talent on display at this weekends home meet. They will be led by standout sophomore thrower Alex Rose, who currently sits fifth in the country in the discus throw. Fellow thrower Ryan McCullough is also a strong candidate to win the hammer throw event.

Young sprinters like freshman Ross Parsons, Cory Noeker and Sophmores Renaldo Powell and Greg Knaus are also expected to place high.

The distance runners are led by redshirt freshman Tecumseh Adams.

The meet is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m with field events. The meet will be free of charge.