Opportunity for first place on the line for CMU baseball against NIU

With first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division on the line, the Central Michigan baseball team faces its biggest weekend of the season.

At 3:05 p.m. today at Theunissen Stadium the Chippewas will start a three-game weekend series against first place Northern Illinois.

CMU (21-20, 9-6 MAC) is just one game back from first and junior starter Trent Howard said the team is ready.

“We are looking forward to the opportunity and we always play better at home,” Howard said. “This is a big series, and it is even better that it is at home.”

Howard has been the primary Friday starter for the Chippewas this year and has a 4-3 record, and a 1.75 earned run average.

The ace of the pitching staff is generally the Friday starter, so CMU looks to benefit off Howard early this weekend.

The Chippewas have won four consecutive conference series after being swept in the first conference series of the season. This weekend they look to continue that trend and move up in the MAC West.

“We like the opportunity to try and move into first place,” said sophomore reliever Dietrich Enns. “We’re just looking to keep winning games and take it day-by-day. Winning this series would be a huge boost for our team.”

Enns has a 5-1 record on the season out of the bullpen and has been the shutdown pitcher for the Chippewas, leading the team with four saves.

He currently holds a 12-1 career record as a Chippewa after going 7-0 in his freshman year, earning Freshman All-American honors.

Northern Illinois (20-18, 10-5 MAC) has won four out of its last five games, and have been a surprise in the MAC.

The Huskies are led by junior Alex Jones. The 5-foot-11 infielder leads the team with a .354 batting average and 56 hits. Junior third basemen Tyler Hall continues to lead the Chippewas from the leadoff spot, hitting .335 with 52 hits and six triples.

CMU has found its mid-season form, but continues to try and get better with every inning that passes.

“We are really hitting our stride right now,” Howard said. “A series win would be huge this weekend no doubt about it.”

The middle game of the series will start at 2:05 p.m. on Saturday where junior starter Zach Cooper is expected to be on the mound for the Chippewas.

The series will conclude at 1:05 p.m. on Sunday at Theunissen Stadium. Senior Jake Sabol is the projected started for Sunday, he will be looking to rebound from a sub-par performance last time out.