CMU 10, UT 6: Chippewas use big sixth inning to even series, force another multi-team tie in MAC West

The Central Michigan baseball team killed two birds with one stone on Saturday afternoon against Toledo at Theunissen Stadium, beating the Rockets 10-6.

With the win, CMU (25-21, 13-7 Mid-American Conference) evened the series at one, tying UT and Eastern Michigan for the Mid-American Conference West lead.

“Overall we played hard in a game where we wanted to put our best foot forward and be ready to play — and we were,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “It was a real good effort and I’m really pleased with how we played.”

Junior right-hander Zach Cooper got the win, pitching six innings, recording five strikeouts while allowing seven hits, five earned runs and four walks.

“I thought he (Cooper) did a nice job,” Jaksa said.

The Rockets (24-21, 13-7 MAC) struck first in the second inning when left fielder Dan Sherwood singled to right field, allowing junior Mark Lapikas to score from second. Second baseman Wes White followed Sherwood, singling to right-center, scoring Joe Corfman.

The Chippewas evened the score after recording runs in the second and third.

Senior right fielder Matt Faiman got a run batted in during the second inning with a single to left field, scoring sophomore infielder Jordan Dean. Junior Tyler Hall hit his first of two triples to lead off the third, finishing 2-for-4 with an RBI.

Senior Brendan Emmett sacrificed to left field, scoring Hall.

“I had a good day, but today everything has to go to the team,” Hall said. “We stuck in there as a team and played well.”

In the fourth inning Lapikas hit his third home run in two days, putting UT on top 3-2 midway through the game, but a six-run sixth would be enough for CMU. Five of those six runs came with two outs. Junior Nate Theunissen had an RBI along with Faiman and Robbie Harman —each scoring two. Emmett picked up an RBI as well.

“That (inning) was huge,” Jaksa said. “It is just a great contribution to Cooper, who did a great a job,” Jaksa said.

Left-hander Dietrich Enns earned the save, pitching three innings, recording five strikeouts while allowing just one walk with three hits and a run.

The Chippewas return to the field at 1:05 on Sunday at Theunissen Stadium for the rubber match against the Rockets.