MSU 5, CMU 2: Chippewas drop season series with MSU

Michigan State scored a run in the eighth inning and another in the ninth on Wednesday at Theunissen Stadium.

Those runs were crucial as the Spartans beat the Chippewas 5-2.

MSU (31-15) was helped by a couple of long balls throughout the game.

Infielders Andrew Carpenter and Torsten Boss both hit home runs for the Spartans as they took the season series two games to one after losing its home opener to CMU back on March 30.

“I am a little disappointed. We had a few chances but we could not get that two-out hit,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “When you are in close games, those runs can matter a lot.”

Junior Ryan Longstreth suffered the loss for the Chippewas, dropping his record to 1-4 on the season—his only win coming in the March 30 game.

Chase Rihtarchik improved his season record to 1-2 after picking up the win for the Spartans.

Tony Wieber shut the door in the ninth inning, picking up his seventh save of the season.

One bright spot for the Chippewas throughout the game was junior Tyler Hall’s fifth inning triple. It was his 10th triple of the season, setting a new single season record for triples in CMU baseball history.

“I am a superstitious player so I don’t like to think about that kind of stuff,” Hall said. “I actually thought it was out, but once it hit the wall I scooted around the bases. It helps a lot when you have a deep field like this.”

He finished the day 3-5 with a run scored. Junior catcher William Arnold also had a solid day on the diamond for CMU, going 0-1, while drawing three walks and scoring the other Chippewas run.

Arnold also had a good day behind the plate with four put outs and two assists.

“William is getting better and better. He is very determined and he didn’t miss a ball today,” Jaksa said. “I think our guys can keep getting better and that’s a credit to him to have that kind of work ethic.”

CMU (26-22, 14-7 Mid-American Conference) looks to put this game behind them and turn their attention to rival Western Michigan. The Chippewas currently hold a one game lead in the MAC West division and have a three game series this weekend in Kalamazoo, starting at 3 p.m. on Friday.

Hall said it will be important for the team to keep its momentum in the MAC throughout the weekend.

“This weekend series is pretty important and they are dominant at home,” he said. “We have got to come and play like we do when we are at home and play with that same momentum.”

With just two weekend series’ left in conference play, the Chippewas look to hold onto their first place lead before the MAC tournament starts on May 25.