Alumni, teachers, parents to protest proposed closing of Oasis Alternative High School

Residents will tell Mount Pleasant Public Schools how they feel about potentially shutting down Oasis Alternative High School to balance a slashed budget Thursday at noon.

Shawn Ostwald, a Mount Pleasant resident and 1996 alumna of Oasis, 3350 S. Isabella Road, was upset when she learned of the recent proposal.

“This school has saved thousands of children and it has made such an impact on our community," she said. "It would be a real shame to see it go."

When she heard about the possible closing of her alma mater, she decided to make a statement of her own. Shawn, along with about 60 other Oasis graduates, parents and teachers, will protest at MPCS' Central Office at 720 Kinney St. to show the district how important they think the school is to the Mount Pleasant community.

No official decision has been made yet on which of the proposals will pass. Interim District Superintendent Tammy Holder said she recognizes the importance of Oasis, which is why she is asking for input from the community before making any decisions.

“All Michigan schools are facing some tough choices when it comes to allocating funds,” she said. “Budgets for education are being cut at the state level. We just want to do what is best for all of our students.”

There will be another board meeting Thursday to further discuss the budget. Former Oasis teacher and counselor Laura Gourlay plans to be there.

Gourlay, who spent 25 years at Oasis, said she understands the difficult task the Board of Education faces in cutting spending.

“It’s not the district's fault," she said. "Budget cuts are happening everywhere. They are trying to make the decision they feel can benefit the most people.”

According to the district's website, there is just over $1 million in possible budget reductions. Other proposals include slashing budgets in transportation, athletics and substitute teachers.