Additions to Museum of Cultural and Natural History on display

Visitors to the Museum of Cultural and Natural History be warned — the grizzly bears may startle you.

Simply walking in between the two life-size bear statues in Rowe Hall triggers a loud, unexpected growling noise. It's one example of efforts to enhance technology previously lacking at the museum, said its director, Jay Martin.

"We've been trying to develop new technology. Overall, it's an ongoing process," said Martin, an assistant professor of history. "Certain exhibits are starting to disappear elsewhere, and we're changing here too."

Old-fashioned glass display exhibits are still around at the museum and have been there for about 40 years, but Martin said he envisions more interactive additions in the future, such as the bear sounds.

In February, the main hallway of the museum was altered to include more historical exhibits, which delved into the fashion styles of past decades and the spooky legends on Central Michigan University's campus that still exist today.

But to Hannah Jenkins, the hallway portion of Rowe Hall has more of a "museum feel" to it than anything.

"I've always been interested in history, starting when I worked at the Clarke Historical Library," the Grant senior said. "For the first four years (at CMU), every time I walked through here, I didn't even realize it was a museum — and I'm a museum studies minor."

Harrison Township senior Gina Cipriano is relatively new to the Museum of Cultural and Natural History and works in it as a student employee along with Jenkins.

"So far, everything has been going very well," Cipriano said. "From what I've seen, there's a lot of potential here."

Another addition is the children's center, an exhibit designed to showcase college life for kids. In some instances, it might not be so different, Martin said.

Backpacks for both a college student and grade-school student are on display, with many notable supplies in both. The exhibit offers tips on how to get a well-balanced meal at the residential restaurants, while another portion of it features photos and equipment donated by the athletics department.

Not far from the children's center is a separate display showing one well-known aspect of college life — beer.

Along with various brands of beer bottles and taps are two of the maroon and gold Bud Light cans that graced Mount Pleasant two years ago.

"There are rumors that some college students drink — I don't know of any," Martin joked.