COLUMN: CMU's a party school, but culture is changed from past

"CMU is an out of control party school."

When I tell people I attend CMU, I always get that exact same reaction. As many of you experienced over the weekend, it is actually true — CMU is definitely a party school.

I used to get defensive. After all, I am paying a lot of money to attend CMU and I do not appreciate the quality education I am receiving being undermined by a party reputation. Then again I ask myself, why does having a party culture have to necessarily diminish the perception of the education I am receiving?

The issue is of course that all schools, even many religious colleges, are party schools. There is no reason that having a party culture is mutually exclusive with attaining academic excellence. If one thinks the students at Harvard and Yale do not leave their dorm rooms until they graduate, they are incredibly misguided.

A couple decades ago, CMU was a school where over-the-top partying and borderline riots were relatively common, and a reputation followed. People from all over attended these parties, and even to this day CMU still has a very large Welcome Weekend. Expect to never see many of the people you met over the weekend, by the way.

Today it is much more difficult to argue CMU is the party school of choice. MSU and U of M parties are bigger, wilder, and in the case of U of M, the alcohol tends too pour for free. Our lovely school is still certainly a contender.

However, freshmen who heard stories from their parents, aunts, and older co-workers should never expect to flip a car or set anything on fire. These stories are either exaggerations or ancient history.

One is misguided if they think getting a group of young adults together will result in anything other than socializing in this manner. Which is why it is so frustrating that people feel the need to undermine the quality education CMU provides by dismissing it as a party school.

Michigan universities are some of the best in the country. CMU is no exception. We have people from all over the world attending, we have accredited and nationally recognized colleges and programs. Other than the giant load of student debt, almost all CMU graduates are very satisfied with their time at CMU and they are just as likely as other university graduates to obtain employment.

Twenty-six percent of people who apply to CMU will not get in. As more people with better grades apply, that number will only increase. CMU is on the rise and academic excellence is a huge contributor to that.

The CMU faculty and administration are not looking to cater to the lowest common denominator. They plan on making CMU a force to be reckoned with.

The next time someone word-vomits that CMU is a party school, enthusiastically agree and add that the fact we are academically competitive worldwide is great too. The resulting open-mouthed stare is well worth it.