Exchange program students help Discovery Museum develop accuracy for exhibit

A few weeks ago the Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum received some special cultural perspective and advice regarding one of its future exhibits.

The museum has already decided what exhibits it will feature when it opens, including an interactive area about Japanese culture.

“The exhibit has different sections like calligraphy, origami, and a tea house where kids can play,” said Chieko Marshall, museum board member. "The traditional ideas of Japan.”

The museum's advisory board held a meeting to discuss the authenticity of a Japanese exhibit. Coincidentally the board was informed that six Japanese high school students from Mount Pleasant’s sister city, Okaya, would be visiting the area.

The coordinator of the exchange program, Kathy Methner, arranged for the students to meet with the advisory board Aug. 4.

Marshall interviewed three of the students, asking the differences and similarities of life in Japan from the United States.

“We wanted to know what their life was like in Okaya, like what kinds of places they go to try and find a similarity with Mount Pleasant,” she said.

The students' first impression of Mount Pleasant was that everything was big, including the streets, houses, and food, she said.

“Everything is intricate and small in Japan,” Marshall said. “They’re not used to seeing big horizons fields of land, which is what you see in Mount Pleasant.”

Marshall said the exhibit will showcase what the current life is like for students in Japan.

“The kids can learn what same-aged kids life is like in Japan," said museum board member Andy Marks. "All features of the exhibit should be exact and make sense.”

While exhibit planning is an important part of the process, the museum is still working on its fundraising efforts to make the museum a reality.

“Even though fundraising is expected to be further down the road, schematic drawings have already been planned out for the exhibits,” Marks said. "Construction is progressing with planning.”