Student Activity Center fitness center renovations, expansion complete with new features

kt_sacrenovation_03
Kaitlin Thoresen/ Staff Photographer Macomb freshman Trista Casasanta and West Land senior Brent Patterson work out on the ellipitcals of the newly renovated Student Activity Center Tuesday morning. "I like how open it is. I think it motivates people to come workout," said Patterson.

Central Michigan University's newly renovated fitness center is officially open for students after five months of  planning and construction.

During exam week of last year's spring semester, the fitness center located in the Student Activity Center was opened, though many renovations were left for summer.

Coming into fall, semester everything is complete and ready for the school year, said Stan Shingles, assistant vice president of University Recreation.

All of the improvements made were based on a survey spring semester that many students responded to, he said.

“We truly renovated it," Shingles said. "Everything in the entire facility has completely increased. So far we haven’t received anything but positive feedback."

Improvements to the SAC fitness center include a space expansion, openness, exterior windows, new equipment and layout, Shingles said.

He said he is excited about many of the new additions including the fitness assessment center.

The SAC is now built into the new fitness center making it more accessible than ever, he said. Students can find personal trainers, assessments or fitness profiles at the center, Shingles said.

“The biggest thing is we have a lot more space and a lot more equipment," said Layne Davis, assistant director of fitness and wellness. "We gained an estimated additional fifty cardio pieces. This includes elliptical trainers, tread mills, bikes and a new AMT trainer."

Davis said some of the new equipment has really been drawing in new students.

She said she is very excited about the new free weight training area, which features mirrors, weights, jump ropes, and balls for functional training.

Before the renovation, there was not much room to do free weights, Davis said.

“I would like more students to come out and give the new equipment a try," she said. "We have a full staff that is trained to help with anything. We can help you get started, (and) start your year off right."

Oxford sophomore Samantha McKenzie visits the SAC daily and loves the new renovations.

“The upstairs gym seems giant compared to how it looked before," McKenzie said. "I feel a lot less cramped"