Students spend Sunday in candlelight 9/11 anniversary ceremony

About 250 students — candles in hand — gathered Sunday night outside the Charles V. Park Library to commemorate the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

The ceremony, organized by the volunteer center, began with the lighting of one candle, which shared its flame until over 75 candles were lit.

Workers from the volunteer center opened the program by sharing their inspirations to hold the ceremony.

“We decided that we wanted to do something more than the David Garcia project or the Nick Pietrunti project to celebrate the tenth anniversary,” said Illinois senior Taylor Galmarini. “Candlelight ceremonies have become an iconic image after the terrorist attacks. Light represents hope.”

The David Garcia project is CMU’s disabilities awareness program, and Nick Pietrunti was a World Trade Center worker who inspired the Ribbons for Remembrance program. Each of these were influenced by U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan, who started an initiative to name university programs after the families of 9/11 victims in remembrance.

The programs themselves were established in cooperation with the Points of Light USA initiative and the CMU volunteer center.

Later during the ceremony, students were given a opportunity to speak about what 9/11 meant to them. Some students spoke about how it affects them, while others spoke about what inspired them to attend the remembrance event.

“The fact that it's been ten years is a really big deal," said Oak Park senior Alyssa Ozrovitz. "This happened during our time, it’s something that most of us remember. So, I feel that we need to celebrate the lives of those who passed away."

Coordinator of the Volunteer Center Shawna Ross was happy with the turnout.

“This was an opportunity for students to come together and remember this day," Ross said.

The remembrance ceremony closed with a moment of silence followed by blowing out of all the candles.