ALBUM REVIEW: Familiar sounds fill Girls’ latest

Hop in a Delorean time machine and head back to the goodness of classic rock with Girls’ latest, “Father, Son, Holy Ghost.”

Hailing from San Francisco, Girls’ follow-up to 2009’s “Album” is a magnificent mixture of classic and indie rock.

Frontman Christopher Owens hopelessly confesses his want for love and lack-there-of because of his “bony body,” among other things, over 54 minutes of music.

Despite the simplicity of his lyrics, which consistently tell of his longing for love, sex and girls, they are more of a melodramatic reminder to stay optimistic rather than whiny.

Owens’ vocals remain calm, cool and collected throughout, while sounding a bit like Elliot Smith. Though his voice lacks any impressive diversity, bulky guitar riffs help cushion tunes, resulting in a complete sound.

The album echoes sounds heard before in bands like The Beatles, Deep Purple and even The Beach Boys, except they’re all in one place — which is awesome.

“Honey Bunny” is the up-beat intro to the album that features rockin’ beach-like guitar riffs that fade into an elongated, dreamy guitar waltz that’s padded by back-up vocals. “How Can I Say I Love You” is also delightfully surf-rock and poppy, yet more like indie-pop today.

“Die” is a song that could be on the next Guitar Hero as fuzzy and quick guitar riffs intro the classic rock jam that feels as if one has somehow entered “Almost Famous” as a progressive Penny Lane.

Long periods of pure instrumentation fill songs like “Die,” “Vomit” and the almost eight-minute long “Forgiveness” with self expression and juxtaposition of classic pop-rock and current indie-rock.

Contrary to the title, “Vomit” is a wonderfully romantic, dynamic tune that begs the girl to “come into my heart.” Organ, guitar and soulful vocals turn this seemingly disgusting song into a smooth and sometimes fuzzy embrace.

Slower, calmer songs include serenading guitar grooves and softer vocals like in “Just a Song,” “Myma” and “Jamie Marie,” which are beautiful.

Even though its sounds are oddly identifiable, Girls managed to place a modern spin on a long-time celebrated sound — and it works.

Genre: Indie Rock Rating: 4 out of 5 stars