Chippewas beat Raiders to finish weekend with win

The Central Michigan volleyball team came out strong against Wright State on Sunday.

They swept the Raiders winning 25-14 in game one, 25-13 in game two and 25-21 in the game three while resting players.

“Our offense was crisper and Wright State committed a lot more errors,” said head coach Erik Olson. “Oakland was a lot better and it had a lot more options.”

The offense may have been crisper, but the CMU defense was strong in its match against the Raiders.

Sophomore defensive specialist Jenna Coats recorded 12 digs and was named to the All-Tournament team.

“It’s a big deal for a libero to make the All-Tournament team, it’s normally hitters and setters on there,” Olson said. “It wasn’t necessarily because of her digs, it was about her passing and setting. They have been outstanding.”

Coats wasn’t the only Chippewa named to the All-Tournament team. Freshman outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre was as well.

“I really have my teammates to thank," McIntyre said. "We passed the ball very well and that opened up a lot of things. We established our middle and that opened up some things and we had good setting.”

Sophomore middle blocker Danielle Gotham recorded nine kills and five block assists while fellow sophomore setter Kelly Maxwell led the team with 32 assists.