Volleyball team finds identity in Butler

The Central Michigan volleyball team found itself this weekend against Butler during the Butler tournament.

“It was a good weekend and in the last match we found our identity,” said junior outside hitter Lindsey Dulude. “We played Central Michigan volleyball and it was very exciting to be out there when we’re doing all the right things.”

The Chippewas (4-4) took the match in three straight games.

To open the tournament, CMU beat Austin Peay, but then lost to Elon.

“We really understand our character now,” Dulude said. “We had to fight back a few times this weekend and showing the fight and persevering through it showed our true colors.”

Freshman outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre led the team with 15 kills in the Butler match, with Dulude contributing seven of her own as she gained her first ever All-Tournament honor.

Sophomore setter Kelly Maxwell led the team with 35 assists and fellow sophomore libero Jenna Coates had 17 digs in route to her second straight weekend named to the All-Tournament team.

The Chippewas went head-to-head with Austin Peay (1-8) in their opening match, splitting the first two games, but then took control of the series, dominating game three 25-14, ultimately winning the series.

The match against Elon, however, seemed to be a step back for the team as they lost in four matches.

“Our morning match (Elon) was a lack of execution in almost every aspect,” Olson said.

But the team’s demeanor changed during the Butler match.

“It was a big win tonight,” said head coach Erik Olson. “We probably played our cleanest and our best match against Butler.”