COLUMN: Field hockey season 'truly' gets underway this weekend

The first few games of a new season can make or break a team's chances for greatness.

So far, the Central Michigan field hockey team has been dominating the competition, beating the University of St. Louis and Robert Morris University by a combined score of 10-1.

The offense has been executing and scoring at will and the defense has controlled the game, keeping CMU on the attack.

Its seems that everything is working for head coach Cristy Freese and in return, the team's confidence couldn't be higher.

I don't want to be the guy to burst everybody's high hopes for this season. I wish I could tell you that CMU will go undefeated, win the Mid-American Conference championship and peace and prosperity will be had by all.

However, there's just one problem.

They haven't played any competition yet.

Lets start with Saint Louis, CMU's first opponent of 2011.

In the past two seasons combined, The Billikens have not won five games.

Not three or even two. One win.

The last time Saint Louis won a game before this season was September 9th 2009. Somehow CMU's 6-0 victory to start the season doesn't seem so impressive anymore.

Robert Morris, CMU's second opponent, couldn't be as bad as Saint Louis right? Well its true because the only win Robert Morris has this season is a 4-1 victory against the Billikens.

It's similar to the Detroit Tigers winning its first two games against the Kansas City Royals.

Its expected to happen. Good teams win the easy games and are competitive against higher ranked teams, so we have yet to see what CMU can truly do.

Don't get me wrong, a win is a win no matter who you face. CMU only has to get three more wins to duplicate their five win total from last year.

To me, the season starts this weekend in Ann Arbor. The University of Michigan will be the Chippewas first true challenge on the field. This game will show what this team is really made of and if they have a chance to do something great this year.

No. 14 Michigan will be prepared to welcome the undefeated Chippewas Friday and I'm not so optimistic about the result.

Michigan just played the top two teams in the nation. Losing to No. 1 Maryland and No. 2 North Carolina.

Michigan knows its season is already off track with two losses and a third could finish the hopes for the season before it starts.

The Wolverines should be playing their best field hockey.

I'd like to hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice to see this university win by ten goals and snap the 11 game losing streak against top 25 opponents and win every game.

If CMU competes against Michigan and wins against Bucknell, it would show that this team legitimate.

If the Chippewas get embarrassed by Michigan and lose to Bucknell, who hasn't scored a goal yet this season, it will show that the first two wins mean nothing and CMU will have to go back to the drawing board.

I expect the field hockey team to return to Mount Pleasant with a 1-1 record over the weekend, losing to Michigan.

The ball is on CMU's stick. It can prove to me that they deserve to be ranked in the top 25.

They can also prove that the first weekend was a fluke and it will be another subpar season for field hockey.

In a few days we will know what this team is actually capable of.