COLUMN: I have a flat chest

I have a flat chest.

Anyone who knows me would have noticed this by now, but up until the past year it wasn’t something I was willing to admit.

But now I cannot only admit it, I can rejoice in it. Having small boobs is awesome!

I used to feel like I was missing a vital piece of being a truly sexy woman. I finally had to give up hope that the Boobie Fairy would be making me any sort of visit. The real kicker came when my little sister inherited a great set of boobs.

Why did God give all these other girls great boobs and he couldn’t even spare me a little?

I finally woke up and realized I was focusing on what I didn’t like about my body instead of the great assets I do have. Not having a large chest doesn’t make me any less of a woman.

I realized I wasn’t actually envious of girls with big boobs. They have it hard.

I had two roommates with very large chests. Not even a turtleneck could cover these knockers up. I watched over the years as they received constant attention from guys for having big boobs, and it was disgusting. I felt blessed to not have to deal with a guy staring at me like he was a 5th grader witnessing his first pair of double-Ds.

When I go running (which, lets face it, is usually just quickly down the stairs or racing back into another room), I don’t have to fear my boobs smacking me in the face. Which, I can tell you from a friend’s personal experience, is an actual possibility.

I also have an easier time shopping. I don’t have to buy a larger size top to fit my boobs.

Plus, bras are expensive! I’m grateful I’m not burning through bras frequently because of heavy strain. I still have bras from early high school that still work just great.

I’m not trying to start the great boob debate here. Big boobs do have some undeniable perks, but my path to a healthy body image was paved by seeing how much easier I had it.

So, I’ve thrown out the padded bras and suppressed the urges to set aside money for a boob job. And I believe my boyfriend more now when he says I’m beautiful just the way I am.