Excitement surrounds CMU volleyball team as MAC play begins

There are plenty of reasons for excitement on the Central Michigan volleyball team.

One reason is because it’s time for Mid-American Conference play.

“The feeling around the team is excitement and passion,” said junior defensive specialist Samantha Brawley. “We’re ready for MAC play and to have the chance to play against teams we’re always competitive with.”

The first game causes excitement in itself.

The Chippewas (7-4) start off against No. 29 Northern Illinois (11-3) at 8 p.m. on Friday. Then travel to Kalamazoo to play at 7 p.m. on Saturday against Western Michigan, a team who is off to a 10-3 start.

“Every MAC match we play is a test, but we have never had this test on opening weekend,” said head coach Erik Olson. “This is a big test; as much as it is for them, as it is for us.”

Senior All-MAC middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz's status went from questionable to a full a go for this weekend and junior outside hitter Val DeWeerd is available to play. She is expected to come off the bench.

This weekend marks the fifth and final road trip before the Chippewas open up McGuirk Arena for the first time.

“It’s exciting that we get to come home soon after five weeks on the road,” Brawley said. “I think it’s good that we’re playing NIU and WMU now because we are used to being on the road right now. Plus they’ll be two of our toughest tests and we can get them out of the way.”

CMU hasn't beaten WMU at Kalamazoo since 2006. However, it holds the advantage against NIU, beating them at their place last season in comeback fashion.

Seven teams in the MAC currently rank in the top 100, posting a 102-56 record. Bowling Green (12-0) and NIU received votes for the top 25.

“I think the MAC is a very good conference top to bottom,” Olson said. “If you look, Bowling Green was one of the bottom teams in the conference last season (2-14 in conference), but they have won a lot and beat Michigan State (11-1).”

The lineup isn't fully healthy yet, but its coming off its best week.

It was a week where the lineup achieved all its goals, won a tournament championship, ended non-conference play with a winning record and got healthier.