Field hockey opens MAC play on road this weekend

The Central Michigan field hockey team opens Mid-American Conference play this weekend.

At noon on Saturday, it travels to Muncie, Ind. to take on Ball State. After, the team heads to Oxford, Ohio at 1 p.m. Sunday.

The Chippewas are currently on a four-game losing streak after Wednesday's 2-1 loss against Michigan State. CMU (2-4) is fourth in MAC standings.

“We learned that we have to be ready, prepared and play our best, both halfs,” junior goalkeeper Anastasia Netto said. “I have confidence in this team and we all have confidence in each other to get the job done.”

Ball State has only scored in two of six games. Last year the Cardinals defeated CMU in overtime.

This year CMU faces Sanne Hermans, Laura Malinoski and Marisa Weachter. Three freshman that have taken over the Ball State offense as they rank in the top four of the team in points scored.

Ball State (1-6) won in 3-0 against the Miami (OH).

Redhawks

The RedHawks have been shut out in four of their seven games and their defense has let in as many as nine goals in a game.

Junior midfielder Olivia Miller has been productive for the RedHawks. Miller leads Miami in goals and total points. Her five goals account for half of Miami’s total goals and her 11 points is more than any CMU player.

In practice CMU has continued to work on its offense and corners.

“We have been putting on a lot of offensive pressure,” head coach Cristy Freese said. “We have to execute our chances and get the ball to the net quicker."

The current four-game losing streak has not effected the confidence of the team. Hopes are still high for MAC play and the Chippewas are ready to prove that they can compete with the best teams.

“I feel like we missed some opportunities early, but we can turn it around this weekend,” Freese said. “We are playing hard and have confidence in ourselves.”