WITH VIDEO: Heart Cry International camps out during 'Street Night'

vgz-hci-08
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer Grand Rapids senior Jamie Geurkink creates a sign for passers-by during Heart Cry International’s fundraiser for street kids in Uganda’s slums and the streets of Haiti on Sunday night outside the Charles V. Park Library. “Once you arrive in the country the needs become more apparent,” Geurkink said. “This summer when we traveled to Haiti we didn’t plan to build a boys home but since the kids congregating on the streets only had a few months, it was clear what our goal was.”

About 20 people sat exposed to the cold and rain, representing and raising money for children in Haiti and Uganda who have no choice but to sleep outside.

Heart Cry International's Street Night, was hosted from 8 p.m Sunday to 6 a.m Monday next to the Charles V. Park Library.

Carla Ives, founder and CEO of HCI, said the event was created to raise awareness of the organization and raise funds to help kids in Uganda and Haiti.

“We want to get CMU students involved,” Ives said. “Students have to be aware of the need and we want to mobilize in making a difference.”

Ives said the event raised a little more than $1,000 through pledges and 100 percent of the proceeds will go to HCI’s bases in Haiti and Uganda.

HCI was established 19 years ago, and its Mount Pleasant headquarters is at 221 E. Bellows St., next to the Student Book Exchange. It's stated mission is to help children in impoverished areas across the U.S. and overseas.

“Heart Cry International is a Christian organization that wants to bring a real change in children’s lives worldwide,” Ives said.

The organization offers internships and volunteer opportunities at any of their four bases in Nigeria, Guatemala, Haiti and Uganda. People interested must apply and complete a skills assessment to get a trip that best fits their abilities.

Opportunities overseas and in the states range from anything in medical and dental work to teaching at schools or working in disaster relief.

Grand Rapids senior Jamie Geurkink first became involved with HCI when Hurricane Irene hit Haiti. She has since taken a trip to Uganda and said she hopes to use her education degree to spend time teaching overseas.

“It has been a life-changing experience,” Geurkink said. “Heart Cry is unique as opposed to similar organizations. They have a consistency, building trust and relationships with the people. They’re conscious about people and preserving their culture.”

Geurkink said she sees the organization taking off and hopes more people become involved, both individually and with funding.

HCI is in the process of forming a registered student organization, called World Changers, and will focus on increasing HCI awareness by seeking continuous support and getting more people involved.

Gina Wymore is the president of World Changers. The West Bloomfield junior worked with children in Haiti through HCI and said her heart ached to continue helping as she witnessed the living conditions for Haitian children.

“(The opportunity) is beneficial for everyone involved,” Wymore said. “I have never met more mature kids that are so grateful for what they have.”

World Changers meetings begin Oct. 3 at 8 p.m. in the HCI headquarters. Meetings will then take place the first Monday of every month.