High Adventure Club provides adrenaline rush, trips for members

The High Adventure Club tries to give its student members an adrenaline rush.

The 75-member club engages in a number of extreme activities that gets the blood pumping and the adrenaline rushing, including rock climbing, whitewater rafting and skydiving

The club goes on two big trips a year — one to Gauley Festival in West Virginia in the fall and another to Michigan Ice Fest in Munising in the winter.

“Gauley fest was very intense — we did things that I’ve never done before. We went whitewater rafting down the Gauley River. It’s my second time and it was kind of scary. We also did other things such as rock climbing,” said Grant senior Mara Kieren. “I had never gone rock climbing on a wall besides the one in Finch.”

Between the two big annual trips, the club goes on many other adventures.

“We go backpacking, skydiving and stuff like that. These trips are usually weekend trips so we are usually gone for days at a time,” said club President Sarah Rowe, a senior from Gland Blanc.

She said they range in price and the most expensive ones are the two big trips, which cost about $150. The in between trips are free or cheap, usually under $30, she said.

The club meets every Thursday in Finch Fieldhouse room 108. Rowe said members are allowed to come and go as they please and can join anytime during the school year.

The members have to pay a $10 membership fee each semester if they plan on attending either of the two big trips.

“One of my friends told me about the whitewater rafting trip that they went on, and that made me want to join," said Brielle McDougall, a Pinconning senior. "I actually quit my job so I could take time to go on the trips. It was really fun"