Poet's Collective offers workshops, looks for new members

Registered student organization Poet's Collective offers writers looking for feedback and like-minded friends a weekly place to meet .

Poet's Collective was started to give students the opportunity to be comfortable in a community of fellow peers who have similar interests.

The presidents of the club, seniors Leigh Jajuga from Mount Pleasant and John Priest from Oak Rapids, are both very excited about starting up a new year for the group. They said they are working hard to find new members.

“We’ve recently created a Facebook page and we plan on chalking, hanging up and handing out as many flyers as possible," Jajuga said. "We just want everyone to know that no matter their major or minor they are more than welcome to come out and join Poet’s Collective."

The group is interested in making writing entertaining.

"If you are planning on going into poetry or doing a creative writing major or minor, this RSO looks really good on a resume, and it shows future employers or schools that you do have an interest outside of the mandatory classes," Jajuga said.

Creative writing classes have become larger with 18 people or more to a workshop, which Priest said is extremely large for a workshop.

“Enrollment in writing classes is growing and we’re hoping that a lot of the creative writing majors come out enjoy what they love outside of class,” Priest said.

Each week Poet’s Collective provides workshops for everyone to become better writers and learn about new schools of poetry, Priest said.

"Anyone with any interest in poetry is welcome to come," he said.

Priest said the comfortable setting provides an opportunity to make friends and share interests out of the classroom.

“Fostering an open environment where people can be comfortable is most important to me, sharing your own work is a pretty private and important thing," he said. "So I think having this comfortable environment will be a wonderful way to get people out to share their work."

Poet's Collective meets at 8 p.m. every Tuesday in Anspach 260 A.