SGA holds elections to fill vacant seats, new senators share goals

The Central Michigan University Student Government Association has filled all of its senator seats after holding elections on Monday.

Nine new senators were elected in the third round of senate elections held in the past few weeks. The returning senators said they are happy with the new members.

“I’m very happy with the new people that were elected and I’m looking forward to working with them,” said Senator Darnell Gardner, a Detroit junior.

The new senators will start working as part of SGA immediately.

“I'm beyond excited to be elected as a Senator," said Farmington Hills sophomore Hannah Keshishian. "I had a minor spaz attack when I found out. This is something that I have wanted since before I was a freshman."

Many of the new senators already have projects they want to continue work on or start.

“I want to focus on building a stronger relationship between SGA and the student body," said junior Lance Hay. "I want the students to know that they have a voice, and it is my job to make sure it is heard."

At the Monday night meeting, SGA also voted on a proposal that would eliminate the requirement  for RSOs to send a representatives to SGA meetings to receive funding.

The proposal passed in the house, but failed in the Senate. Now a joint committee will be made from both to try to make a proposal that both houses of SGA will support.

SGA Vice President Colleen McNeely said “the money comes from students' tuition dollars, so I don’t feel as thought it is right to force them to send representatives here to get their own money. I want people to come to SGA, but only if they want to be here. That will help SGA run more effectively.”

Under the proposed bill, RSOs who choose not to send a representative will have to submit a report on their RSO activities and how the money will be used so they can receive the funding.