SGA may no longer require RSO representatives to attend meetings to receive funding

Registered student organizations may no longer have to send a representative to Student Government Association meetings to qualify for funding from SGA.

SGA discussed a future proposal that would amend bylaws and allow RSOs to receive funding from SGA without a club member or officer attending the meetings.

After the proposal was introduced, several SGA members questioned if this would be fair to the RSOs who do have representatives come to the meetings and get involved.

Vice President and Brighton junior Colleen McNeely said she still hopes RSOs send representatives, but does not want them to feel forced to if no one volunteers.

House member and Warren Freshman Myron Moss said he doubts there will be a huge drop in participation if RSOs are not required to send representatives to receive funding.

"Most of the students who represent their RSOs want to be involved in student government and will still come," Moss said.

The SGA will vote on the proposal at a future meeting.

The SGA senate also held elections to fill its remaining ten Senate seats. Decisions will be announced Monday at their next regular meeting.

These candidates gave speeches and answered questions from the current SGA senators and E-board members.

SGA is also considering creating a website that would cost $600 to be fully functioning. The website would serve primarily as a way for RSOs to know what is going on within SGA, and allow SGA members to post information about events they have coming up.

SGA is hosting an ongoing Twitter town hall meeting. Students can ask questions using the @CMUSGA and SGA will answer the questions by Sept. 26.

“The town hall meeting is part of SGA’s effort to get the campus more involved,” said Michelle Shamaly, SGA press secretary.