Twins have strangers on campus seeing double

bw-twins-01
Bethany Walter/Staff Photographer Alpena seniors Kara and Katie Schneider wave to a friend as they walk by Charles V. Park Library on Tuesday afternoon. "There is at least once a week that I pretend I'm Katie. The other day some guy said hi, because he thought I was her. I just waved and said hi." said Kara.

Things are much easier when you have always had a friend to do everything with.

For Katie and Kara Schneider, that is the way life has always been. Separated in birth by only a few minutes, the Alpena seniors take advantage of being identical twins.

Born in Cheyboygan, the two have since made several moves throughout Michigan as both parents obtained new jobs in education. While most people dread being the new kid, the Schneider twins were happy to have each other and soon became used to it.

“It wasn’t so bad and we got used to moving around,” Kara said. “Now, we can pack like nobody’s business and are pretty good at making new friends and talking to basically anybody.”

Central Michigan University was another school to conquer together. While it was not a conscious decision to go to the same place, it worked out that way when they both received CMU’s Centralis scholarship.

Kara and Katie both expressed their satisfaction with being able to share their college experiences. The two have been roommates since freshman year and share everything from a vehicle to clothing to friends.

“It’s no different than any other roommate,” Katie said. “They annoy you, they don’t annoy you. We’re just used to sharing everything.”

While the two seem to be in complete sync, they each have their own distinct lives. Kara is a dietetics major with hopes of finding a fitting job. Katie on the other hand is an accounting major and plans to intern this summer.

Twin bond aside, the Schneider family is a close-knit one. Kara and Katie have an older brother, David, who is also a senior on campus.

Their study abroad experiences this past summer was the longest the two have been away from each other and their family. They both went to Italy, but Kara stayed in Florence while Katie did her studies in Rome.

The Schneider twins agreed they were “outdoorsy” and scuba-diving and hiking are among their favorite activities. Katie also has an obsession with Mount Everest and hopes to persuade Kara to someday climb it with her.

The two also share a best friend, Alpena senior Julia Wenzel.

The three have known each other since sixth grade when Katie and Kara were the new ones at school. Watching “Pride and Prejudice” and eating ice cream with no-bake cookies whenever anyone has a bad day has been the trio’s favorite hobby since high school.

“We have been friends for so long that time can go by and we’re still just as close,” Wenzel said. “I know I’ll always be friends with them despite time and distance.”