Odd Jobs: Students joke, strip, sell their plasma to pay expenses

pf_peterbutterman05
Perry Fish/Staff Photographer Macomb Senior Andrea de la Garza smudges eyeshadow on CMU student Peter Butterman's eyelids as he transforms into YouTube character Julia Butterman Wednesday evening at his Mount Pleasant apartment. Julia recently made her debut in the video "SORRY BOUT IT- Julia Butterman: Sorority Girl." "We constantly act awkward in public," Butterman said.

While many students depend on scholarships or summer jobs to pay for college, some Central Michigan University students find unconventional ways to cover the cost.

One Rockford senior is turning his interest in entertainment into money by using YouTube.

He has created the alias “Peterbutterman,” which is also the name of his YouTube channel, to make comical videos inspired by comedians like Ed Bassmaster.

“I do stuff like this anyways, so might as well do it for some money,” Peterbutterman said.

He receives revenue through the ads on the videos. For every click on an ad, a certain monetary amount set by the provider goes to the channel’s owner. While it is not much, it all adds up as a video’s popularity increases.

By performing stunts such as “coning” (grabbing a drive-through ice cream cone by the ice cream, and other related frozen dairy pranks) or running though a grocery store covered in peanut butter, Peterbutterman hopes he will become a YouTube hit and pay off students loans by the end of the academic year.

“My biggest hit has been ‘Ugly Face Contest,’ but it’s a growing process,” Peterbutterman said. “Everybody waits for that one big hit that just takes off, and I’m not going to stop (making videos).”

Like Peterbutterman, many students are concerned about being able to pay off loans in a reasonable amount of time.

Amy, a sophomore, deposits the money she earns as an exotic dancer into a savings account she plans to use after graduation.

While Amy knows her employment choices are often frowned upon, she said it is only temporary and provides just what she needs for school.

“I know it’s unorthodox, but I’ve been a competitive dancer all my life and it’s just a way to be on stage,” Amy said. “I don’t think about the audience, just about the goal.”

Amy said the place is well-managed and her employer helps her determine exactly how much she needs to work to meet her budget.

A more popular way of students making money is to donate plasma at BioLife, 4279 E. Blue Grass Road.

Donors are able to go a maximum of twice a week, which can add up to $60. The process is set up by appointment and takes an average of 45 minutes.

Clio sophomore Rob Muter said he does not use the money for student loans, but puts it toward groceries and necessities that are otherwise overshadowed by his tuition bills.

“I chose BioLife not only because it is a great way to earn money, but because it is also a good cause and helps create medicines for people that need them,” Muter said.