About 800 attend MAJOR Night as advisers give info about degrees

About 800 students visited the Bovee University Center Rotunda to learn about more than 150 undergraduate programs offered at Central Michigan University.

Many Advisers Joined under One Roof Night brought academic advisers from every department who set up booths with pamphlets and offered advising to students who approached with questions and concerns on Wednesday night.

Fremont sophomore Michael Dekuiper transferred to CMU from Saginaw Valley State University. He said he transferred because of the larger campus at CMU in comparison to the smaller size and community of SVSU.

“I am here to figure out what I want to do with my life. I like politics, but it tends to make me mad at the world,” Dekuiper said. “I know that I need to sign for my major after this semester because I will have around 60 credits.”

Groups such as Study Abroad, military services, and Multicultural Academic Student Services also had booths with information for students.

“Everyone wants to know about Study Abroad. It is required in the foreign languages major, so they have every right to ask,” said Keith Palka, professor of foreign languages, literatures and cultures.

Palka along with Taryn Waters, instructor of foreign languages, literatures and cultures, hosted the foreign language studies booth.

Palka said students mistakenly assume the only avenue for foreign language is teaching. He said students who study foreign languages have a wide possibility of careers including fields in travel, government jobs and translating careers.

Palka said another possible benefit of studying a foreign language is the feasibility of finishing school in four years.

“Some people are fearful of foreign language the way they are with math, but most get over those fears fairly quick(ly),” Palka said.

Some of the longer lines included students seeking help in pre-med, child development, family studies and apparel merchandising.

Palka said students mistakenly assume the only avenue for foreign language is teaching. He said students who study foreign languages have a wide possibility of careers including fields in travels, government jobs and translating careers.

“Some people are fearful of foreign language the way they are with math, but most get over those fears fairly quick,” Palka said.