Blood battle to begin between CMU and WMU

Next week will be the start of a competition pitting rival student bodies against each other.

Central Michigan University and Western Michigan University, in partnership with the American Red Cross, will be participating in the fall blood challenge to see which school can donate the most blood.

The two-week long event is set to kick off at noon Monday in the Emmons Hall lobby and will run through Oct. 20.

During the spring 2011 challenge, which ran from Jan. 18 to Jan. 28, CMU donated 223 units of blood, falling short of the 387 units donated by WMU.

Despite WMU coming out on top, the schools worked collectively to give as much blood and save as many lives as possible.

Several students said they felt adding the element of rivalry is a great way to get people motivated about donating blood.

“Any time there’s a competition-based event, especially with Western, I think students will participate,” said Kalamazoo senior Michael Babineaux.

Babineaux said he feels the blood drive will give CMU a chance to redeem itself not only from past blood drives, but from defeats in sports as well.

Jet’s Pizza, 2308 S. Mission St., will provide free pizza to all donors. Participants will also have a chance to win gift cards from Meijer, free food from Subway and other prizes.

“Donating blood is about saving lives and I think everyone gets that message, but it’s great to have food and prizes as the organization’s (Red Cross) way of thanking people for coming out,” said Grosse Point senior Jessica Montgomery.

She said people will be more willing to donate if they feel like they are getting something out of it.

Anyone wishing to donate blood must bring their Red Cross donor card or another form of identification when going to donate.

To make an appointment or find out more about the drive's locations and times, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.