CMU field hockey sweeps Missouri State

Two wins is better than one.

And that's exactly what the Central Michigan field hockey accomplished after beating Missouri State 5-1 on Sunday.

It was the second time in as many days that CMU (5-5, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) beat the Bears (3-8, 0-4 MAC).

The Chippewas failed to establish a consistent offensive attack early in a tie game. However, with 1:09 remaining in the first half, the Chippewas drew a penalty stroke and freshman forward Cayliegh Immelman scored, adding to her team-leading sixth goal.

“In the first half, we kept stepping on each others feet,” Freese said. “We were all going to the same spot and as soon as we opened the passing lanes we were going to have success.”

CMU turned the momentum into its favor in the second half. The offense continued to put pressure on the Bears defense and two minutes into the second, CMU earned another penalty stroke and senior Brooke Sihota took the shot.

“The only thing that I’m thinking about when I’m taking a penalty stroke is that I’m going to score,” Sihota said. “I’m really confident with my strokes. I pick the side I want to put the ball and shoot.”

And that's exactly what she did, scoring the goal, making it 2-0.

The Chippewas continued to dominate the Bears with their third goal six minutes later, when sophomore Bailey McKeon scored off a corner.

The Bears lone goal came midway in the second when forward Hillary Lawless scored on a breakaway goal.

“The defense today played a very good game, but the lack of communication between players led to a Bears goal,” Freese said. “We have been better, but I can see that we still have a lot of work to do.”

McKeon scored two more times and completed her first career hat trick.

“I came into today not thinking about scoring and I think it took off the pressure to score,” she said. “It was a great weekend for us and we're going to carry the momentum into next weekend.”

McKeon scored her first goal of the season Friday, making it four goals over the weekend.

CMU finished with nine goals, while only allowing one during the two-game stint.

“This weekend the offense really stepped it up and put a lot of pressure on the Bears,” Freese said. “We have a lot of different scorers and when one person is covered, someone steps up and scores.”

The Chippewas will try to build on the two wins at 2 p.m. Friday against Ohio and at 1 p.m. against Kent State at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.