CROP walk raises $19,000 statewide this year

an-cropwalk
Adam Niemi/Staff Photographer Crop Walk participants walk through Island Park on Sunday. The participants had the option of walking one or three miles. About 314 people participated in the event, which raised money to help fight hunger worldwide.

Mount Pleasant residents and Central Michigan University students came together to support the local community in Sunday’s CROP hunger walk at Island Park.

The hunger walk is a national event helping hungry children and families, not only in the U.S., but worldwide as well.

Mount Pleasant resident Robin Bahr participated in the event with a group from the First United Methodist Church, 400 S. Main St.

“We always participate,” Bahr said. “It’s a great idea and we’re giving back to the community.”

Mount Pleasant resident Helen Thomas was in charge of registration for the event.

She said the event has taken place for the past 22 years.

“We’ve been going a lot of years,” she said. “We have a good committee and lots of jobs delegated and it comes together.”

So far, the event has raised more than $19,000 statewide this year.

“We’re providing money to feed hungry people,” Thomas said.

Mount Pleasant resident Cyndy Abbott participates in the event to help out the church. She has been involved with the walk for 10 years.

“It’s a very worthy cause,” Abbott said. “It’s nice that they have the three different walks.”

She said she likes being able to choose to walk the long or short route.

Waterford sophomore Tim Campbell took part in the walk for the first time this year and said he was surprised to see so many people show up.

“I did it for charity, for fun, something to do and to give the community support,” Campbell said.

Ken Allen also participated in the walk for the first time. He said he chose to participate because he thought it was a good charity.

“I feel like we can actually make a difference in the Mount Pleasant community,” the Waterford sophomore said.

Thomas said 25 percent of the donations go to six different organizations in Isabella County, while 75 percent goes to Church World Service, which sponsors projects all over the world to support the hungry.

“I think it’s a good way for our community to get together and help those in need,” Allen said.