Freese wins 200th as CMU field hockey coach

The 200-win mark has been achieved for Cristy Freese.

The Central Michigan field hockey head coach captured her 200th career win at CMU when the Chippewas dominated Missouri State University 4-0 on Saturday at the Central Michigan Field Hockey Complex. An impressive feat for any coach, but don’t tell her that.

“I’m glad that its finally over and done with,” Freese said. “Its something nice that I can look at when I retire, but right now I have to focus on this season, on this team.”

Freese celebrated her monumental victory, but not by going out and partying with friends or family, but by game planning for the next game and calling it a night at 9 pm.

The only noticeable celebration was when the whole team made a 200 symbol across the field with their bodies.

The 200-win mark is nothing more then a distraction from the team and their goals for this season according to Freese. Saturday’s win was the fourth win of the season, not the 200th of her career.

“This team has bigger goals than personal records right now,” Freese said. “We are 3-1 in MAC play and that’s pretty exciting.”

Freese’s attitude of focus and competition has been contagious and has spread throughout the entire team.

“Freese always prepares the team and puts us in the best position to win,” senior captain Paulina Lee said. “She was one of the decisive factors that made me want play at CMU and I could never ask anything more from a head coach.”

“Its nice that we could win it for her this weekend and get the 200th win off of everyone’s mind,” freshman forward Cayleigh Immelman said. “Sometimes people don’t get what they deserve, but today Cristy earned every moment of this.”

Freese is already looking ahead for the next game. Her coaching style does not let the past interfere with what needs to be done on the field.

“The team cannot look back and wonder what could have happened,” Freese said. “Today’s game is what matters: the next game is what matters.

Freese has a lot left in the tank for the future, despite coaching Division I for 25 years. Whenever asked about the 200 wins, she always responds in the same fashion.

“Talk to me at 250 or 300 wins,” Freese said. “I want to be at 250 in five or six years and I want to continue to keep this team performing at a high level of play.”

The 200 wins are nice, but senior Brooke Sihota believes Freese wants the Mid-American Conference championship more.

“Deep down we’re all excited for her, but she is focused on a MAC Championship this year,” Sihota said. “If we win that for her, we will all have a lot more to celebrate.”