Freese wins 200th at CMU as field hockey shuts out Missouri State

The milestone has been reached.

Central Michigan head coach Cristy Freese earned her 200th win at CMU Saturday against Missouri State in a decisive 4-0 game.

“I’m just glad its finally over and its time to move on,” Freese said. “Talk to me when I reach 250 wins.”

The Chippewas started their six-game homestand by facing off against the Bears. It didn’t take long for the offense to put pressure on the Bear’s defense, racking up scoring opportunities.

Sophomore Bailey McKeon deflected the pass from junior midfielder Erin Dye past the goalkeeper 6:33 into the first half.

This was the first of three assists Dye earned. Sophomore midfielder Simone Lazar scored the Chippewas second goal in the first half 15 minutes later and CMU took a 2-0 lead into the half.

“We went into half time thinking we could be playing better,” Freese said. “The defense got caught standing on its heels and we felt we should have scored more goals.”

Early in the second half the young CMU offense struck again as freshman forward Cayleigh Immelman scored her team-leading sixth goal off a Dye assist.

“I didn’t expect to be making such a big impact in my first year on the team,” Immelman said. “I have to credit my teammates and coaches. I can’t score with out everyone else doing their job.”

Nine minutes later sophomore Julianna Makrinos scored on a rebound off a play that started as a corner.

Missouri State (3-7, 0-3 Mid-American Conference) had five shots it each half, but goalkeeper Anatasia Netto made a season-high eight saves for her second shutout of the season.

The victory brings the Chippewas record to (4-5) overall and (2-1) in MAC play. CMU out shot the Bears 17-10, controlling the game.

“I think it was one of the worst games we played all season,” Freese said. “The second half was better then the first; we have played some good games so far this season, but we should have more wins then our current record shows.”

This weekend CMU celebrated the 1976 field hockey team that went 20-1-1. Some alumni from the team were at the game cheering of Freese in her 200th win.

“It’s an honor to be here to witness Freese and her 200th win,” CMU alum Aimee Belanger said. “The CMU field hockey team is still expanding and successful.”

Although she was never coached by Freese, Belanger and Freese met on the field back in the 70s when CMU played Ohio State, Freese’s alma mater.

CMU tries to bring its record back to .500 at noon today in a rematch against Missouri State at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.