Griffin Policy Forum Monday will focus on future of higher education in Michigan

State and local politicians and university leaders will meet Monday to discuss the future of higher education in Michigan.

The semiannual Griffin Policy Forum will cover "The Future of Higher Education in Michigan" and will begin at 7 p.m. in the Powers Hall Ballroom.

The forum is sponsored by the Robert and Marjorie Griffin Endowed Chair in American Government, the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences, and the department of political science at Central Michigan University.

The event will be moderated by Peter Luke of Booth News Services. Panelists include Michael Boulus, executive director of the presidents' council and state universities of Michigan, Don Gilmer, past chairman of Michigan house appropriation and higher education appropriation committees, Lou Glazer, Michigan Future Inc. President, and University President George Ross.

Griffin Endowed Chair Maxine Berman said she is excited to have such a diverse group on the panel to discuss the issue at hand.

"The panel will bring many different perspectives, as they can each talk separately about the issue as it ties to the budget, the history of institutions and the philosophical aspects," she said.

The forum will be structured with the first half dedicated to panel discussion overseen by the moderator, and the second half will be an open question and answer session for the audience.

Sarah Buckley, CHSBS coordinator of marketing and events, said past audiences of Griffin forums have always been glad to have the opportunity to speak their minds in this format.

"The forum is a good opportunity for students, faculty and the community to learn more about the issue by asking questions in addition to listening to the panel discuss what's going on," Buckley said.

Recent events at CMU have focused on the topic of higher education as Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa, who visited Monday, talked about their book "Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses" which said 45 percent of college students do not have significant improvement in learning during the first two years of college.

Berman said she is glad to be able to discuss this highly topical issue of higher education on a university campus.

"There is a serious concern about the future of higher education, especially with the current budget cuts and tuition increases," she said. "I hope students begin thinking about higher education and looking at concerns. These concerns have a tremendous impact on the state economy and policy"