Midwest Fest ends after four nights of music from 20 bands

vgz_midwestfest_06
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer Christopher Jarvis, 22, of Detroit plays between his keyboard and the samples programed on his MIDI pad controller during the physchedelic soul pop groups set at Midwest Fest Thursday night at Rubbles Bar, 112 W. Michigan Street.

The curtain fell on the local music festival Midwest Fest as it wrapped up its final night on Saturday.

Organized by Corey Densmore, owner of Diamonds in the Rough Promotions, Midwest Fest started Wednesday and featured 20 bands over four nights playing at Rubble's Bar, 112 W. Michigan St.

“This year’s been the best turnout of all four years,” Densmore said. “You have people who come to enjoy the music and people who come to be a part of the music scene ... and everyone is enjoying themselves.”

The 24-year-old Mount Pleasant resident estimated about 150 people per night.

Remus senior Elly Cotton said she attended three of the four nights.

“I love that there’s music going on in Mount Pleasant,” Cotton said. “I think there’s been a good turnout because you have room to dance to the music without it being as packed.”

Cotton said she enjoyed seeing New Day Dreamers, Lightening Love, Stepdad and Chris Bathgate.

“I’m super pumped for Joe Hertler and the Rainbow Seekers and Frontier Ruckus, too,” she said.

Troy junior Shiva Ganganithi attended Wednesday and Saturday night.

“I really liked Rat Boy; the singer has a very sexy voice,” Ganganithi said. “I went to Chris Bathgate because I knew one song by him, and he didn’t play it.”

Ganganithi said he thought the festival brought a lot of bands that sounded the same and it was expensive.

“I’d pay $10 if I was seeing someone bigger, but for college students that’s a lot,” he said. “I’ve also seen Rubble's more packed for bands like the Ragbirds, but it’s still a good experience overall.”

Bands' members, like Commerce Township junior Ryan Hoger, member of Jetpack On! and Joe Hertler and the Rainbow Seekers, were pleased with the festival and turnout.

“I’ve seen Rubble's more packed than this, but this is the best turnout for Midwest Fest yet,” Hoger said.

Hertler played both Friday and Saturday night in two different bands.

“Corey did a pretty good job with the lineup, where crowds could enjoy the different genres each night,” he said. “There’s been a group of familiar faces each night, but also new people coming out too, which is cool.”

Densmore said he was happy with the festival’s turnout and lineup.

He said he plans to continue the festival in downtown Mount Pleasant again next year, with no major changes from this year to the next.