Non-traditional set to be used in production of 'The Wrestling Season' at Theatre-on-the-Side

ark-wrestlingseason02
Andrew Kuhn/Assistant Photo Editor Lansing sophomore Tyler Bradley, left, and Sanford senior Chris Krause rehearse wrestling season Sunday evening at CMU.

Laurie Brooks' play "The Wrestling Season" is coming on Thursday to Central Michigan University's Theatre-on-the-Side.

CMU's Ticket Central website describes the show as an exploration of sexual identity, betrayal and other pressures experienced by many teenagers.

Nancy Eddy, assistant professor of communications and dramatic arts and the play's director, said she thinks the show will different because the stage will be in the center of the theatre and the actors will be on set for the entire performance.

"The script is just a blueprint," Eddy said. "Each person brings what they need to illuminate the script."

Sanford senior Chris Krause is playing the part of Matt in the show. Krause said he thinks staying on stage makes this show an exercise.

"You literally have people watching you from all angles," Krause said. "Also, when we're not on the mat acting, we'll be seated around the mat acting as a chorus, so we're literally on stage the entire time."

Fenton freshman Caitlin Miller plays Heather in the show and said she wouldn't change anything about the set.

"I think the audience will find this non-traditional set to be more effective in telling the story of 'The Wrestling Season,'" Miller said. "(It) will allow them to feel more involved in the show."

The show will incorporate audience participation by having audience members talk to the performers and provide feedback.

Krause said she thinks this will be an effective strategy.

"I'm interested to see how the audience responds to the talk back," he said. "I'm hoping that it will get people to actually think about the material that was presented. If the show can get them emotionally and intellectually involved, then maybe we'll get a few more people coming to the theater for enjoyment."

Tickets can be purchased on CMU's Ticket Central website or by calling 774-3000.

Shows will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Oct. 13, 14 and 15, and at 2 p.m. on Sunday and Oct. 16 in Moore Hall's Theatre-on-the-Side.