Sabin hosts Drag Queen Bingo, part of Coming Out Week

pf_dragqueenbingo01
Perry Fish/Staff Photographer Center Line seniors Milene Head and Kristina Rajcevski laugh to each other during Drag Queen Bingo Wednesday evening in Powers 243. Detroit based drag queen Sabin lead bingo to a full room as part of Coming Out Week . "I think it's hilarious," said Rajcevski.

Bingo is not just reserved for the elderly.

About 260 students attended Drag Show Bingo Wednesday evening in Powers Hall 234.

Drag Show Bingo was organized by Shannon Jolliff, director of LGBTQ Services, in conjunction with Coming Out Week.

Sabin, from Hamtramck, opened with a dance number to the song “Super Bass” by Nicki Minaj. She then picked on audience members.

Farmington sophomore Graham Morrison, who attended Drag Queen Bingo for the first time with his girlfriend, was one of her targets. Sabin questioned his sexuality and the audience coerced him into taking his shirt off.

“Being in the front row, I wanted to see if (Sabin) would pick on me, and I certainly got what I bargained for," Morrison said.

Sabin was a dancer before becoming a drag queen. She said she began impersonating women after injuring her knee and was no longer able to dance.

She has performed drag for eight and a half years. Yesterday’s bingo event was her third time hosting it at Central Michigan University. She has also performed in April's drag show seven times.

Winners of bingo were rewarded with bags of candy. Sabin then gave another performance set to Beyonce’s “Run the World (Girls)” after a five-minute intermission. Sabin then took questions from the audience.

“CMU changed my life. After one of my performances, you guys gave me a standing ovation, not because you had to, but because you truly enjoyed my performance,” Sabin said. “It helped remind me why I do what I do.”

Jolliff said there were only 200 chairs in Powers and more were needed because of the large amount of people.

“Everyone loves Sabin. Sometimes life gets so serious and (Sabin) brings such laughter to campus which is needed, because it is midterms week and everyone is stressed, so it’s a good opportunity to laugh and have fun,” Jolliff said. “They like the fact that they can come, and even though they may get picked on, it’s all fun.”

The week's last event will be a presentation by guest speaker and poet Andrea Gibson 7 p.m. Friday in Pearce Hall room 127.