SGA passes resolution in support alcohol amnesty for minors requiring medical attention

The Student Government Association approved a resolution supporting a bill that would provide legal amnesty to students who receive medical attention because of alcohol-related issues.

Currently in the Michigan House, Bill 4372 would protect minors who require medical attention or are assisting those who require medical attention while intoxicated.

The resolution adopted in both the SGA's house and senate, earning the vast majority in both houses. SGA may now organize protests or rallies to show support for HB 4372.

“Now that this is the official stance, SGA is about to take direct action on the issue," said Colleen McNeely, SGA vice president and Brighton junior. "We can now call legislators and organize on-campus events. A letter-writing campaign is now going to be started."

A number of CMU students support the resolution approved by SGA.

“I think this should be passed because it will greatly increase the likelihood of people bringing their friends into hospitals to receive medical help if they are extremely drunk," said Brighton sophomore Andrea Sienkiewicz. "They won’t have to worry about themselves or their friends getting MIPs and getting in trouble."

According to the resolution proposed in SGA in 2007, 427 CMU on-campus students were referred to the Office of Student Life for alcohol-related issues. In 2009, 44 out of 182 medical assistance calls involving alcohol consumption occurred on CMU's campus.

“I personally have had to send a really drunk friend to the hospital before, and even though I did it, I sort of paused before I called and thought about what trouble they would get in,” said Detroit freshman Nieya Gaston. “If this proposed bill passes, more students will send their friends to get help"