CMU volleyball beats BGSU in five games

It took a full team effort by the Central Michigan volleyball team, winning a five-game conference match against Bowling Green Friday night.

“We were pretty solid,” said senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz. “After the first game we got our passing down and started playing our volleyball.”

BGSU and CMU traded leads back and forth in all but one of the game, but the Chippewas outlasted the Falcons 15-12 in the final game.

“We were happy to get the win,” said head coach Erik Olson. “We felt that Bowling Green was out for blood tonight and that gives credit to our teams composure.”

The match was the fifth this season to go five games. CMU is 3-2 in those matches this season after going 1-6 last season.

“We finally learned how to finish,” Schultz said. “Apparently we like playing that way because last year we struggled with that.”

Olson said he remains calm in the final game of a match.

“If you ask my wife, she’d say she can’t even watch those games,” Olson said. “I don’t think my pulse goes over 70 in any of the matches, you get used to it.”

Schultz recorded 18 kills, including kill No. 1,000. The milestone makes her the fourteenth member of the Chippewas 1,000-kill club. She also passed Julie Roberts (1978-80) for No. 13 all-time with 1,011.

CMU improved to 11-7 overall and 4-3 in the MAC.

Freshman outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre led the team with 22-kills and added six digs.

Up next for the Chippewas is Miami (OH) at 5 p.m. on Saturday inside Millet Arena in Oxford, Ohio.