COLUMN: Study abroad anxieties

I had the opportunity to study abroad almost anywhere in the world, and I chose to go north.

I have never been a winter person, but my decision to study in Edinburgh, Scotland, next spring involved more than considering the climate.

There are countless destinations around the globe I hope I have the opportunity to travel to some day, but if I were to live in a foreign country for a semester, I had to make that commitment carefully.

I knew studying abroad would be more than just a vacation, so I wanted to evaluate each program on multiple academic and cultural criteria. I did not care about the popularity of my destination, as long as it fit my interests.

I always struggle to come up with a concise answer when asked why I decided to study abroad in Edinburgh. After extensively researching the city and university, it just seemed like the perfect fit.

Academics were an important aspect to my decision. My program allows me to take classes that will apply toward my major, and as a journalism and political science student, I am excited to visit the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.

Although my family is more German than anything else, I was thrilled to discover recently that some of my ancestors were born in Scotland. Studying abroad at this destination will give me the opportunity to reconnect with my family history.

Admittedly, pop culture also had a tremendous influence on where I chose to study abroad. I read Irvine Welsh’s “Trainspotting” when I was in high school and I’ve been fascinated by Edinburgh ever since — but with considerably different interests than those of the main characters.

While cities such as London, Paris and Rome make wonderful study abroad destinations for many students, I would encourage students to also consider programs that might not have the biggest markers on the map.

After waiting months for my confirmation letter, I am ecstatic to count down the days until next semester. Studying abroad is something I have wanted to do my entire life, but until I came to Central Michigan University, it seemed more like a dream than an attainable goal.

My main concerns for adjusting to life as an international student remain the same as any other first-day-of-school anxieties: Will the students and professors be nice? Will I fit in?

Instead of worrying about catching the bus to class, however, I need to catch a flight.