SGA passes resolution opposing Residence Life overnight guest policy

The Student Government Association opposes the current Residence Life overnight guest policy.

SGA approved a resolution against the policy Nov. 21, citing it wants students to be able to bypass submitting paperwork to have overnight guests during the week.

The policy, new for the 2011-12 school year, requires students to submit a request form that must be signed by all roommates in the room, the resident assistant and the residence hall director 48 hours before the visit in order for the guest to be allowed.

The policy treats outside visitors and other Central Michigan University students the same. This is different from last year's Residence Life overnight guest policy that only required guests to check in at the front desk of residence halls.

SGA Sen. Stephanie Jaczkowski introduced and received approval for a resolution opposing the policy.

The Clinton Township senior cited numerous reasons for SGA’s opposition, including that students are basically leasers of the university and should have the right to invite guests as they choose, that students should be allowed to decided their own guest policies in their roommate agreements and that student safety was not listed as one of the reasons for the policy change.

“Last year, a growing issue for students was having people stay in their room night after night," said Tricia Henry, a Woldt resident assistant and Illinois junior. “The policy is supposed to make dorm rooms easier to study in."

Sean Kolhoff, an SGA senator and Mount Pleasant sophomore, said he believes the policy will hurt students going through unique situations and who need the flexibility to stay on campus.

“It would have been impossible for me to make it to all my classes last year if I couldn’t sleep in my friend's room,” Kolhoff said.

Jaczkowski said SGA’s ultimate goal is the repeal of the guest policy she considers unnecessarily restrictive.

“Now that the resolution has passed we can start coordinating meetings or other forums with the student body in order to address the issues,” said Colleen McNeely, SGA vice president and a Brighton junior.