Students share names with celebrities, musicians, folklore heroes

Big-name movie stars, musicians and even comic book characters all can be spotted walking around Central Michigan University on any given day.

Will Smith, Justin Long, Kevin Bacon and even Robin Hood are just a few of the big names CMU students and faculty share with celebrities.

“People have been making comments about my name for a long time," said Bacon, a Vassar senior. "When my mom named me, she wasn’t thinking about the actor at all, he wasn’t even that big. She just liked the name Kevin.”

Bacon said he has had his named linked to the celebrity often while playing various sports.

“I’ll never forget my first time going up to bat on my little league baseball team. As soon as I stepped up to the plate, someone yelled out, “We have a celebrity up to bat,” Bacon said. “It used to annoy me when I was younger, but now I like it’s sort of a good talking point to have.”

Smith, a freshman from Holland, said he’s been hearing comments about Will Smith for as long as he can remember.

“‘Oh, you’re Will Smith?’ is what a lot of people say,” Smith said. “I’ve been getting comments about my name for most of my life, so I’m just used to it now. It doesn’t really bother me at all.”

Unlike Smith, Robin Hood, who works in the chemistry department, said he does not hear people talk about his name a lot.

“Of course when I was younger I heard about it a lot. But now I’ll just get an occasional chuckle when I have to write my name on the chalk board,” Hood said.

Hood said he believes his name helps him stand out among others.

“It’s hard not to stand out and get noticed with a name like Robin Hood,” he said. “People always remember what my name is.”

Shelby Township sophomore Justin Long shares a name with the actor and Apple representative. Long said his name is only recognized occasionally.

“When I watch a movie with some friends that he (Justin Long) is in people always look at me. Especially when the credits are rolling it always gets pointed out,” Long said.

Grayling sophomore John Lennon, who shares the same name as the member of The Beatles, said he did not always like having to share his name.

“When I was growing up it was very irritating always hearing people talk about my name,” Lennon said. “But now I like it — no one ever forgets what my name is.”