University Theatre Dance Company holds student-choreographed showcase

The Central Michigan University Theatre Dance Company held their first showcase choreographed exclusively by students this weekend.

The showcase was held at 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday in Rose Arena Room 127.

Twelve students presented their ballet, jazz, modern, lyrical and contemporary dance pieces to a capacity audience of more than 75 viewers.

“I’m so thrilled with the turnout and our students work. Each student is truly remarkable," said Artistic Director and Dance Instructor Heather Trommer-Beardslee.

Students have been working since the second week of school to prepare for this showcase. Each choreographer and their dancers have put in over 50 hours rehearsing individually and with their peers weekly.

To open the showcase, Trommer-Beardslee said she was excited for the audience to see the dances because the audience had been brought into the studio where art was made, practice happened and the choreographic process went on.

“It was very intimate having the showcase here,” said Livonia senior Erin Wheeler, a choreographer and dancer. “This is where we practice, it’s where we think.”

The showcase displayed 11 pieces ranging from three to five minutes long. At the beginning of each piece, the choreographers introduced themselves to the audience and told them a little about their piece.

“I think providing the audience with an explanation to what each choreographer's piece was about really made it easier and made more sense to the watchers," Wheeler said.

Though two choreographers made their pieces duets, the majority of the performances were group dances with five to 10 dancers in them.

One group of choreographers known as the Dance Company Seniors worked together to put seven ideas together to create one piece. According to program, the Dance Company Seniors piece represented their diverse backgrounds in dance.

The showcase displayed a variety of stories based on themes ranging from the consequences of greed to positive aspects of womanhood.

“I like dancing because you get to tell a story without words," said Illinois sophomore Aja Grizzard. "You tell the audience everything through your body.”

After the final showcase Sunday, family and friends gathered with the dancers and choregraphers.

“My favorite part about this year’s showcase was the process of working with each choreographer,” Trommer-Beardslee said. “Though the final performance is the absolute exclamation point, helping choreographers through the choreographic process was truly amazing.”