Volleyball: Chippewas upset Broncos in MAC Tournament; faces Ohio in semifinals

The third time was the charm for the Central Michigan volleyball team Friday afternoon as it swept Western Michigan in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

The No. 6 Chippewas couldn’t have picked a better time to knock off their rival then the quarterfinals of the MAC tournament.

The Broncos came into the match as the No. 33 team in the nation, No. 3 team in the MAC Tournament and two wins against CMU. But it leaves Geneva, Ohio early with a loss.

“Our team came out with great focus and energy and we were near flawless when it came to executing the scouting report,” said head coach Erik Olson. “We played very well and I don’t think there is anything to fix before tomorrow.”

CMU had three players in double-figures kills with All-MAC senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz leading the way with sixteen at a hitting average of .367 percent.

Junior outside hitter Lindsey Dulude added 11 kills of her own qne All-MAC Freshman team honoree Kaitlyn McIntyre recorded 10 kills.

“Everyone on the team was solid today and we were focused from the time we got to Geneva, Ohio to game time,” Schultz said. “We wanted to get one thing done and we did it.”

The offense was ran by sophomore outside hitter Kelly Maxwell, who came into the match with a chip on shoulder after being left off the All-MAC list. She answered by recording 45 assists, while WMU’s freshman setter All-MAC Terin Norris recorded just 24 assists.

“Kelly (Maxwell) had a very good match and made good decisions,” Olson said. “I think there was a little oomph in her because she feels she should’ve made All-MAC.”

Another Chippewa left off the All-MAC list was sophomore libero Jenna Coates, who had the last laugh as well with the Broncos All-MAC libero Lena Oliver. She out dug her 19-9.

“Same thing with Coates, like Maxwell when we saw the release of the MAC Awards our team was disappointed we feel we had more than two All-MAC players (Schultz and McIntyre),” Olson said. “We had little bit to say about that today and Coates was tremendous.”

CMU plays No. 2 Ohio Saturday at the SPIRE Institure in Geneva, Ohio for a shot to play in the MAC Championship match.

“I don’t think there is any need for improvement before semifinals, we were solid,” Schultz said. “It’s all positive here.”