Chippewas wrestle No. 3 Minnesota and Ohio this weekend

The Central Michigan wrestling team is one victory away from its 2010-11 regular season win total if it defeats No. 3 Minnesota and Ohio at McGuirk Arena.

The young Chippewas have already accomplished one thing last year’s team did not, which is notching a win against a top 25 opponent – three wins in fact.

CMU head coach Tom Borrelli isn't content with those victories, though.

“We do have a talented group of guys,” Borrelli said. “For our young team to have that type of success early is a good thing, but we still have a lot of improvements to make.”

The Chippewas face Minnesota tonight. It will be arguably their toughest match of the season. CMU is 0-11 all-time against the Golden Gophers.

“Minnesota poses a great challenge,” Borrelli said. “That’s a very, very good measuring stick for us. Hopefully we’re going to rise to the occasion.”

Junior Ben Bennett looks forward to hosting a top-five team after playing three teams that were ranked from 12th to 16th last weekend.

“I’m excited. Any time you can bring a top team into our gym, I think it’s an awesome opportunity for us,” Bennett said. “To bring fans in, hopefully a lot, and to show them top level wrestling. I don’t think you can beat that.”

CMU’s first MAC opponent, Ohio will be less challenging Saturday night, but the Bobcats defeated the Chippewas for the first time since 1998 last season.

A pin against Bennett triggered the victory for the Bobcats.

CMU was tied with the Bobcats and ready to gain control of the duel until No. 5 Bennett went ahead 5-2 when a scrum amounted to plus six points for Ohio. A penalty took a point away from the Chippewas.

“Last year was kind of a crazy duel meet when we wrestled them and for me I had a crazy match,” Bennett said. “But I’m not really worried about what happened last year. This is a new season.”

This year’s Bobcats have many unknowns coming into Saturday with CMU being their first opponent of the season.

“There’s a lot of uncertainty going into the match because you don’t know what their lineup is going to be,” Borrelli said.

Injury report

CMU’s third-highest ranked wrestler Donnie Corby plans on wrestling this weekend, despite injuring his foot at the Northeast duels.

“It’s just knowing that the team needs me,” Corby said. “I can’t really miss out since we have some big duels coming.”

Borrelli said his status was day-to-day.

“We just don’t want it to turn into something that will nag him all year,” he said. “We’d like to do the right things right now so he’s better for the long haul.”