Faculty Association ratifies proposed contract with Central Michigan University

favote-01
Staff Photographer/Brooke Mayle Sons Chris and Lucien waited patiently outside the Lake Michigan Room of the U.C. Thursday afternoon while their father, David Stairs of the Art and Design department, voted. "I hope it passes," said David.

The Central Michigan University Faculty Association has ratified its tentative 2011-2014 contract, according to an email sent to members Thursday night obtained by Central Michigan Life.

Nearly three quarters of the FA members cast a vote, FA President Laura Frey said in the email.

The contract was tentatively agreed upon Dec. 1 after 14 hours of bargaining facilitated by Isabella County Circuit Court Judge Paul H. Chamberlain.

It allows the FA to keep MESSA for health care if members absorb premium increases, but includes no salary changes from the university’s original offer made before fall semester.

"We are pleased that the members of the CMU Faculty Association have ratified a new, three-year contract with the university," Director of Public Relations Steve Smith said in an emailed statement.

"Without question, the extended process that ultimately resulted in this agreement was challenging and, at times, divisive. We must now move forward as one university and do all that we can do – together – to make this institution even stronger."

The court meeting was originally held to determine if a preliminary court injunction against FA work action would be made permanent.

The FA had been working without a contract since CMU declined to extend it past its expiration of June 30.

FA members struck the first day of classes and held other demonstrations several times throughout the fall semester.

Keep checking cm-life.com for more details.