Wrestling looks to end long layoff with a bang at EMU

In sports, it can difficult to come back after a long layoff and perform at a high level.

Wrestling head coach Tom Borrelli acknowledges his team must get back into their regular routine, but is also excited to see it get back in action Friday against Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti at 7 p.m.

"Any time you have this long of a break in wrestling, not that we haven't been practicing, but just the whole routine if making weight, recovering and then wrestling an hour later, you worry about that a little bit," Borrelli said.

The last CMU dual meet was Dec. 17 at the Bison Duals. The Chippewas went 3-0 against Sacred Heart, Princeton and Bucknell.

EMU enters the contest at 7-3 and is 1-0 in Mid-American Conference play.

"It will be good competition," Borrelli said. "I am really interested to see if our guys have improved. I think we have had a good training session since the Midlands."

After a 29-3 romp of the Eagles last season, EMU will have extra incentive to perform well this time.

"I think it's a big match for them," Borrelli said. "This is a matchup that they're going to use to gauge where their program is going. "

The Eagles feature a veteran roster led by redshirt senior Andrew Novak and redshirt junior Aaron Sulzer. Novak is 13-6 this season at 133 pounds and Sulzer is 14-4 at 157 pounds.

"We need to be aggressive," Borrelli said. "We need to wrestle from the positions we are good from and stay away from the things they do well."

Another intriguing matchup is the rematch between sophomore Joe Roth and Eagles' Jared Germaine. They squared off at the Midlands two weeks ago and Roth won 7-2.

Borrelli hopes to see a few breakout performances from sophomore's Scott Mattingly and Craig Kelliher.

"We have some guys in our lineup that we feel are ready to turn the corner," he said.

CMU is 59-3 all time against EMU.