Wrestling pins EMU 21-12

ark-borrelli-01
Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer CMU head coach Tom Borrelli watches as junior 285-pounder Jarod Trice's match against Indiana's Ricardo Alcala goes into overtime Thursday at the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Philadelphia, Penn. Trice won the math in the second tie-breaker 3-2.

The Central Michigan wrestling team finished its first duel in 2012 much like they ended last year improving to 11-2.

The Chippewas defeated Eastern Michigan 21-12 on Friday in Ypsilanti.  The 12 Eagles points scored equaled the number they tallied in the past three duels combined against CMU.

“I just knew this was a big match for Eastern Michigan,” CMU coach Tom Borrelli said “They have a lot more experience than they had in previous years and we’re younger than what we have been in previous years.”

CMU freshman Joey Kielbasa ended the Eagles short-lived lead with a takedown with about 20 seconds left in the third period to score bonus points.

“That was very important for him to get bonus points for us.” Borrelli said. “At the time we didn’t know how things were going to go from there and out.”

Kielbasa pointed to working hard the past two weeks as a reason why he had success.

The lone match between ranked opponents featured No. 17 Joe Roth for CMU against No. 18 Jared Germaine. It was a rematch of the Midlands Championships, which Roth won.

Roth won the sequel by a 12-6 decision.

“(Roth) really set the tone for us. He really wrestled well tonight,” Borrelli said. “The only negative I can say is I know he wishes he would have got that last take down because he would have got bonus points for us too.”

CMU sophomore Scott Mattingly continued down a disappointing path.  He lost to Corey Phillips on a 7-4 decision to give EMU a 6-3 lead.

Borrelli pointed to Mattingly as one of the wrestlers who can perform better.

“We can’t quite figure out what’s going on with him but he’s working hard and doing everything he needs to can to make the corrections, so we feel he’s going to break through soon,” Borrelli said. 

The Chippewas are off until Jan. 20 when they host Northern Illlinois.